Face to Face

Thanks to the kind young lady in charge of recreation at my grandma's nursing home I was able to FaceTime with grandma after I finished work. Unfortunately my shift usually prevents me from being available to FaceTime with her but since I had a doctor's appointment today -- which turned into a phone consult -- I got to see my grandma and chat with her for 15 minutes. She looked to be in better spirits and she wasn't in bed so I think (hope) she wasn't woken from her afternoon nap to talk to me, and I think when she was told she had a FaceTime date she got excited. She did tear up a bit still but I held it together for the most part until the end when we had to say "bye." She asked how dad is doing twice during our short conversation -- we had somehow managed to avoid that last time. I hope everyone at the facility is still helping us keep up the ruse I can't bear to think of her dealing with the news all alone. Plus after visiting dad and seeing the state of his plot I want to make sure there is sod on it before we even consider taking grandma to the cemetery. The crazy thing is that the government (as per what I have seen in the headlines) and health officials are thinking self-isolation is going to be a major part of our lifestyle until July "best case scenario." JULY. We just started April. Grandma's birthday is at the end of this month (though I have already worried about how grandma will feel when we do not visit on her birthday.) Can we ask the care staff to just treat it like a normal day until we can finally all get together? It sounds like something that can't be guaranteed. For now I will try to make short videos that the recreation lady can show to her and find out what other days I may hopefully get to FaceTime with her. I just took a look at my schedule and if they are running the FaceTime program next Friday - Good Friday - then I will at least have been able to see her once a week so far.

Comments