This is not Goodbye -- it's See You Soon

Yesterday was my last day at the travel office for who knows how long. I did my best to make sure the consultants looking after my files will know what is left to do for my clients or what my clients are looking for moving forward. I then filed my folders away and locked it all up securely. I sent out emails telling my clients what was happening and then a letter to my mailing list letting them know as well. Then I set up my "out of office" and that was that. Well, not quite. I still had not edited my office's "see you soon" video but it was something I could do from home so that's what I opted to do instead of staying at the office even later. I was already 2 hours past closing. Phones are such powerful little computers now. I was able to put together the video, upload to our YouTube channel and then schedule it to post to our social media accounts at closing time when we shutter the door. Not even a full day away from the job and I could not help but check my emails still. Some of my regulars thanked me for my help and wished me luck for the future. Another client mistakenly thought I had dropped the ball on his file when he actually booked with my colleagues when I was out of the office. Another client let me know a little late that she still had yet to hear back from the insurance company. So I had to send an email to one of my colleagues to ask her to pull up the file for the client since they will still be in the office a few more days. That just made me worry even more about what will happen to our clients and helping them out when we are finally, officially, (temporarily) closed. And today as I was eating my brunch with Butch I checked my email again out of habit. In there was another grateful goodbye email from a client. This one really hit me right in the gut. She was thankful for the trip I arranged for her because it was one of the last and most poignant memories she had with her partner. Her partner was tragically killed a few years after that. Again, I love what I do and I am grateful that she would have that bank of memories to reminisce, but of course it makes me cry. So here's hoping they don't keep us closed for too long.

Comments