Feliz Cumpleanos Papa

 Today was not as painful as I worried it would be.

Maybe it's because the family was together for at least a couple of hours. I know mom gets comfort from being at mass but seeing the altar where dad's coffin was facing during his final hours on Earth still choked me up. Being at mass hurts me.

We were able to get my sister's x-ray and lab work down within the morning.  J.Lo got a fill-up and a much-needed wash. And then we reunited with my brother and his girlfriend at Brokin' Yolk for lunch before visiting dad. It was the first meal all four of us have had together since well before Christmas. I think that helped a lot.

Social media kind of hurt but I still checked in a few times to see comments left by family and friends...good friends also texted me and my great-uncle even called this morning but I missed his call. He sent his prayers and birthday wishes and lit a candle for dad and all of those who have left before us.

Regarding a more physical pain; I was lucky enough that mom's aircast fit my leg. It was uncomfortable at first but now it feels so much better than the ankle support I was wearing (which was cutting into my calf and my foot and my poor limb was feeling so tender!) I can move so much faster with it on, too. I have not tried navigating the stairs with it yet but I'm optimistic and, more importantly, comfortable.

Comments